Sunday, May 3, 2009

the 'couv

i finally made it to vancouver. there was a series of incidents that nearly killed me along the way (okay i'm being dramatic) but i'm in one piece, here in my new home. gavin met me at the front door. "it's raining," i said. "welcome to vancouver," he replied. this is the first time that i was smart and packed an umbrella and a rainjacket. i'm not going to repeat my England incident (where i refused to buy an umbrella in the belief that as soon as i did, it would stop raining. consequently, it rained the entire time).

my family made the comment that they moved away from vancouver twenty-five years ago, my mother pregnant with me, and now i have returned "home" twenty-five years later. this may have some rich symbolic meaning, but i think what it really means is that i'm going to discover (at least within twenty-five years) what caused my parents to leave this city.

i woke up at 6:30 this morning and will not fall back asleep. at least this means that i'm going to be punctual for work tomorrow...way too punctual.