Friday, July 29, 2011

Big changes ahead

As I mentioned briefly in my previous post, there are some big changes ahead in my life and lots of traveling. Today is my last day at my current job at the Federal Court. It was a fantastic challenging job that I loved very much, but these positions are only for one year and it's time to move on. Now I'll be leaving my comfortable government job (as well as my comfortable five digit salary, sadly) for new adventures! In less than two months, I am moving to Namibia, located on the southeastern coast of Africa, to be working in human rights at the Legal Assistance Centre. I'll be working in particular on law reform with respect to domestic violence against women, as part of their Gender Research and Advocacy project. For those of you that know me, it's been my lifelong dream to work in international human rights law, and I have wanted to take part in this CIDA/CBA sponsored program since I started law school, so this is essentially a dream come true for me!

Obviously I'll be blogging all about my African adventures. But until then, I'll be doing a little more domestic traveling, and I'll be writing about this too. Today, after I finish cleaning out my office (ugh), I'm heading off to Vermont, then a ten day road trip to Prince Edward Island. On Labour Day Weekend, the Song family's going back to Syracuse for some epic shopping. And - I'm really trying to make this happen - I'm pretty sure I'm going to stop by Amsterdam on the way to Namibia. So stay tuned!