Friday, July 5, 2013

birds in the Arctic

A lot of birds come here to mate - the Arctic is like the Las Vegas for birds, apparently. And sometimes, it feels like the classic meeting spot is right outside my window. Like Las Vegas, it's apparently always party time in Cambridge Bay because of the 24 hours of daylight, so it's caw-caw-caw all the time, even when I'm trying to sleep.

Sometimes I see tundra swans, hanging out in the tundra. Unfortunately, their feathers are white, and so is the snow, so they're kind of hard to see sometimes.

I've been going on a few bird-watching hikes lately, to see what kind of wildlife I can spot around Cambridge Bay. There are a lot of different types of birds up here this time of year. Unfortunately, I don't know the names of a lot of them. I should pick up a book or something. Do you recognize these birds?


 
okay, I know this is a seagull

 
pretty bird with pretty flowers



 
birds hanging out in the sewage lagoon. do they know it's a sewage lagoon?