Thursday, March 6, 2014

update: it's still winter.




In one day: we ran out of running water. The power went out.  Both trucks refused to work. I still hadn't been able to get a dentist to look at my tooth problem. Also, we were both sick. Despite being sick, I still had to trek a few kilometres on foot through the -50 degree Arctic winter weather and blowing wind to unlock a door for someone. 

"What else could go wrong?" Rob asked.
I could only think of one thing. "Zombies."


 I don't know about you, but sometimes living here makes me like I'm a lot more prepared for some sort of zombie apocalypse than I used to be. I can't help thinking it. I've been reading Justin Cronin's The Passage. I've been watching the Canal+ television show The Returned. I've been listening to a lot of godspeed you black emperor.  This girl has got zombies on the mind. Luckily we're well-stocked here.

Making do without water, electricity, a warm vehicle, a dentist or even one's health can be an inconvenience sometimes.   But you learn to make do. You learn that clothing made out of material that is 70% rayon, 27% nylon, and 3% spandex have the unique property of making your body colder than if you were actually naked.  You learn that when there's a wind chill warning in effect, which means it's -55 and any exposed skin will get you frostbite in two minutes, you wrap yourself up warm, covering every inch of your body except your eyes.  I basically go around looking like a fat ninja.   I learned my lesson the hard way, that one day I got frostbite.

"I got frostbite on my ear."
My husband: "When?"
"While walking to work."
"Did you wear a hat?"
"No."
"Why didn't you wear a hat?"
"I didn't want to mess up my hair."