Tuesday, June 24, 2014

my vegetable flowers




I've written before about my indoor Arctic garden and in particular my crazy lettuce plant which is basically turning into a beanstalk reaching up to a giant's castle in the sky.  The plants really react to the twenty-four hours of daylight.  Now they have started to flower.

Mom says we're not supposed to let them flower - we're supposed to eat it before it gets to that stage, otherwise the vegetables end up tasting really bitter.  But they look so gorgeous that we had fun letting them flower.  And now we can see what vegetable flowers look like!

my bok choy 

my carrots

my lettuce plant

my green onions look like they're trying to flower too

Mom suggests we grow two of each plant, one for eating and one for looking at all pretty.  Maybe that's what we'll do next time.