Friday, August 1, 2014

a day in the Arctic summer life...

A look at my average day.


8:00 - The alarm clock goes off, and I wake up from vivid dreams. Usually dreams where I am about to eat food. I have bought the food. I am holding the food. I am about to put the food in my mouth. I wake up. I realize that I probably will not be able to eat this particular food that day, or anytime soon.

8:35 - Curse at myself for the pile of dishes I have left for myself in the sink.

8:50 - Nag at husband that we really should leave for work now.

8:57 - Leave for work.

8:58 - Get to work.

9:00 - Check work email and phone messages; often messages from people in Eastern Time zone wondering why I'm not answering.

9:05 - I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT I DO. (I may or may not be a Cold War spy)

12:00 - Hear the siren go off. Wonder for a moment if the Russians are coming.  Realize it's Cambridge Bay's lunch bell.

12:01 - Get home. Think about how I should really take a nap. Make lunch. Eat lunch. Play the guitar and/or keyboards instead of napping.

12:55 - Realize that I really should have taken a nap.

12:57 - Leave for work.

12:58 - Get to work.

13:00 - Check messages, mostly messages from people in Eastern Time zone wondering why I'm not answering.

13:05 - Drink coffee. Tell myself that tomorrow, I will nap at lunch.

13:10 - I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT I DO. (I may or may not be a Cold War spy)

16:00 - Leave messages for people in Eastern Time zone wondering why they aren't answering.

17:00 - Wonder why the office is so quiet. Realize that everyone has left. Leave work.

17:01 - Get home.

17:15 - Go for a run. Get chased by mosquitoes. This is good, I tell myself, it helps me run faster.

Nunavut summertime flora

17:45 - Return home. Feel a little less hungry because I've swallowed so many bugs.

18:00 - Eat dinner. Delicious dinner made by my awesome husband.

18:55 - Think about doing the dishes. Go kayaking instead.



19:30 - Watch Cambridge Bay from a distance while drifting on the ocean. Think about how I could never leave this place.

20:00 - Discover a new beach. Find a name for it.




21:30 - Get home. Think about doing the dishes. Go fishing instead.



22:00 - Watch my fishing line disappear into the water. Watch the mosquitoes dive bomb my mosquito net. Think about how I could never leave this place.



23:00 - Come back home, having not caught any fish but not caring.

23:20 - Plan to sleep, but end up working on some writing instead; either in form of blogging, song-writing, or an article.

24:00 - Fall asleep.  Dream of food.

sitting on the dock, watching the bay